As President of the National League of Cities, I have been fortunate to be able to lead the Building a Nation of Inclusive Communities Program. I believe that this will have a profound effect on America's cities.

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Local Government Leadership Academy

I was honored to be asked to be the luncheon speaker to the West Virginia Local Government Leadership Academy, held at the Radisson Hotel in Morgantown, West Virginia. This program is one of the best in the country as a way for local city and county officials to learn about their respondsibilties as elected and appointed officials. I enjoyed seeing many old friends and meeting a good number of new friends from throughout West Virginia. I liked the idea of having county and city officials in the same classes, as it gives everyone an exposure to what our friends in county government have to deal with.

My speech centered on the impact of the Inclusive Communities Program in West Virginia. From the comments after my speech, I can say that there is great interest in the program and I am sure that we will see some new applicants signing up. Council Vice-President Sharyn Tallman of Parkersburg, West Virginia told me that Parkersburg is working on a new sign to highlight the Inclusive Communities Program. I think we need to look at Inclusive Communities as an economic development program that can have a dramatic effect on prospective businesses that want to locate in your community. Dr. Kevin Leyden, the Interim Director of the Leadership Academy, told me a story about a young fellow from India that left Morgantown for another opportunity, primarily because of the lack of cultrual diversity in West Virginia. We cannot continue to lose quality people because of our lack of sensitivity or percevied lack of sensitivity in West Virginia.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home