As President of the National League of Cities, I have been fortunate to be able to lead the Building a Nation of Inclusive Communities Program. I believe that this will have a profound effect on America's cities.

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Army Reserve National Ambassador Conference

I am leaving today for Austin, Texas to speak to the Army Reserve Ambassador National Conference. The Ambassador Conference is an effort to connect with our Army Reserve soldiers and provide support to both the soldiers and families. I have had the honor of serving as the Army Reserve Ambassador for West Virginia for the past seven years. As an Ambassador, I have attended numerous activities throughout the United States to see the Army Reserve in the field. I have also attended mobilization ceremonies where our young soldiers were preparing to leave for the Iraq War. These ceremonies are heart wrenching and it gives a true picture of the cost of war. Young families hugging and crying as the young soldiers, both male and female, prepare to leave for what might be the final time of their life. I have attended several Welcome Home Warrior Ceremonies at Camp Dawson in Kingwood, West Virginia. These ceremonies are the celebration of the completion of a successful mission.

I should seem obvious why I feel that serving as an Ambassador is an important use of my time. I hope to stress to the other Ambassadors in Austin that there is much that cities can do to assist in supporting our soldiers. I have led a few national efforts to bring attention to the needs of our soldiers. At the National League of Cities Conference in Indianapolis, Indiana our delegates signed large banners that stated, "America's Leaders salute America's Heros". These banners were sent to the war zone and were displayed in mess halls and activity centers and I have been told that many soldiers found comfort when they found the name of a mayor or councilmember from their home town or state.

I hope that the meeting in Austin will assist the many Army Reserve Ambassadors in their work of assisting soldiers and their families.

Off to Austin......................

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home