As President of the National League of Cities, I have been fortunate to be able to lead the Building a Nation of Inclusive Communities Program. I believe that this will have a profound effect on America's cities.

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Youth finding answers

I was reflecting on the meeting in Washington, DC between a group of students at Liberty High School in Clarksburg, WV and Selma High School in Selma, Alabama. This came together in a few short weeks and shows what can happen if you keep moving in the right direction. I don't think I have ever been involved in something that made me feel more proud. What a great group of young people. They had fun, but probably did work that will influence them for the rest of their lives. My good friends, Mayor James Perkins, Jr. and Bennie Ruth Crenshaw deserve a lot of credit for making this project work. I wonder when things change for many young people? I can remember being a young student at West Virginia University in the late 60's and thinking that issues of race would not be an issue 30 years later. While we have moved forward, I can't believe that rarely a day goes by without some incident of intolerance, hatred or insenstivity. I have a great deal of confidence in our youth. I think our job is to support our youth and give them the tools to make a difference. Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home