As President of the National League of Cities, I have been fortunate to be able to lead the Building a Nation of Inclusive Communities Program. I believe that this will have a profound effect on America's cities.

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Decatur, Illinois

I received a nice note from Betsy Stockard of Decatur, IL concerning the inclusive communities program. Decatur is going to be holding a community meeting to discuss ideas on becoming more inclusive. They currently have signs in their community stating "Racism, Not in our Town". When we were discussing the signs, we talked about how the message should be a positive one. I spoke to a reporter in Decatur and he did a nice article about the inclusive communities program. The link is http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_action=doc&p_docid=110B06D0C4D3D318&p_docnum=1 Check it out. I think this is the direction that we should be going in with the inclusive communities program. Community discussions and a lot of parties at the table.

I'm excited and I look forward to working with Decatur. I promised Betsy that I would come to Decatur when they install the inclusive community sign. One more trip, but I'd like to be criss-crossing the United States as many more communities sign on for the program.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home