As President of the National League of Cities, I have been fortunate to be able to lead the Building a Nation of Inclusive Communities Program. I believe that this will have a profound effect on America's cities.

Friday, April 14, 2006

Lafayette, Colorado An Inclusive Community???

I received a call from Jay Ruggeri, a councilmember from Lafayette, Colorado who is interested in adding his city to the list of Inclusive Communities. Jay has a special interest in disabled citizens and is working hard to make his city more inclusive for those with disabilities. The City Council will take up the Inclusive resolution next week and I hope that they follow through and join the campaign. Jay taught me a new term, "visitability". It is the concept that houses should be built so that persons with disabilities can visit. This means wider doors and a bathroom on the first floor. I think this is a great idea and I have personal experience that really drives the point home. When my brother became disabled I learned how difficult it is for a person in a wheelchair to attend family events. I wish that my house was constructed with "visitability" in mind.

What is really great about the Inclusive Community Program is the learning that takes place. This backs up something that I thought when we initially started working on this topic. I believe that most people want to do things right. When we provide needed information, I believe that we will be headed in the right direction.

Jay is on the right track and I hope the other councilmembers will support his efforts. I wrote a letter of support today and sent it to Jay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home