As President of the National League of Cities, I have been fortunate to be able to lead the Building a Nation of Inclusive Communities Program. I believe that this will have a profound effect on America's cities.

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Municipal Leader of the Year

Link to article: http://americancityandcounty.com/

Today is a real highlight of my life. I have known for about six weeks that I was selected as the American City and County Magazine's "Municipal Leader of the Year". I am quite humbled by this unique honor. I have read the American City and County Magazine for many years and have always enjoyed it's coverage of municipal issues. Likewise, I would read with interest the stories on the past Municipal Leaders of the Year. Friends like Mayor Bob Knight of Wichita, Kansas and Mayor Don Plusquellic of Akron, Ohio have won the award in the past and I could honestly never imagine being chosen.

I was especially excited because very few councilmembers have ever been chosen for this award and very few officials from cities the size of Clarksburg have ever received the award. I think that this truly points out the power of the Inclusive Communities Program. I believe that we have created a program that far surpasses any one individual. I am so appreciative of the many people that have helped with the Inclusive Communities Program. They are the true Leaders of the Year.

One funny thing about the award was that I was receiving e-mails and calls from throughout the country congratulating me on the award and I had not seen the article. It was really hard when I spoke to people who had the magazine and I was too embarassed to admit that I didn't have a copy of the article yet. I guess when they distribute magazines, West Virginia is not on the first round of deliveries. I did get my copy today and I have to say it is really odd, looking at a magazine, with your picture on the front cover.

I am one of the most fortunate people in the world. I am so grateful to be associated with such a great organization as the National League of Cities. The members and staff of NLC are dedicated and committed public servants. I have always been proud to represent the National League of Cities.

I can't imagine a better year and one that I will never forget.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dad,

I am so proud of you. It has been so nice to be able to share this year and all of your accomplishments with you. I hope you can take some time to enjoy all your successes soon. Can't wait for Reno, we will all be there to cheer you on.

Love you
S

12:31 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home