As President of the National League of Cities, I have been fortunate to be able to lead the Building a Nation of Inclusive Communities Program. I believe that this will have a profound effect on America's cities.

Friday, August 04, 2006

An Inclusive Day!!!!!


As I picked up my USA Today, I had no idea that this is a day that could change a person's life. A front page article, highlighting the Inclusive Communities Program and quoting several of my good friends from throughout the country. Then I opened the paper and saw the article on Bluffton, Indiana with a picture of Mayor Ted Ellis. I don't think the article could have been better written. Haya El Nasser was the reporter and she seems to have a great perspective and really looked deeply into the issue. The discussion of "Sundown Towns" was really insightful and gave this issue some needed exposure.

At 10:00AM, I appeared via telephone on the Chip Franklin talk show in Baltimore, Maryland. Chip is a conservative and really tries to dig at his guests. My segment was about fifteen minutes and I think it went really well. One thing that many people fail to realize is that Inclusive Communities is not a liberal or conservative issue. It is one that resonates across party lines and one that can have a healing effect in virtually any community.

I also spoke to Mayor Ted Ellis and he was getting quite a few calls from throughout the morning concerning his "starring" role in USA Today. It wasn't the cover of the Rolling Stone, but it was close. Ted is really a great guy and I couldn't think of a person more deserving to appear on behalf of his town.

I also received the final scripts for the Public Service Announcements that will be filmed in Chicago on Monday. It should be an interesting experience.

Just think, in just a few days millions of people have been exposed to the Inclusive Communities Program and I am sure that many new cities will be signing on to the program. In addition, our welcome signs are touching over 5.75 million citizens. Thats the number of citizens in the 68 cities that have already signed on.

One little idea, one little sign leading to millions of people learning that a community is all of us. The power of "we". We can make a difference. We will make a difference.

I wouldn't bet against us having over 200 members of the coalition at the end of the year.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw the article and it was very informative. This is a program that should have an impact in many communities.

10:09 PM

 
Blogger Ed RosenBerg said...

Some good news today in the world of inclusion...

I was happy to read that Maryville, TN has voted to become a part of the inclusive cities program.

Congrats to the League of Cities, to Maryville's leadership, and to the community at large.

Ed Rosenberg
www.everyoneisincluded.us

5:46 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home