As President of the National League of Cities, I have been fortunate to be able to lead the Building a Nation of Inclusive Communities Program. I believe that this will have a profound effect on America's cities.

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Detroit Regional Chamber of Commerce Meeting

What a week. I was invited to speak at a conference of the Detroit Area Regional Chamber of Commerce at Mackinac Island in upstate Michigan. This is a very nice place!!! It reminded me a lot of the Greenbriar Hotel. There were about 1700 attendees. I was introduced by Edsel Ford, Jr. I got to speak to him and he is a pretty nice guy. The audience seemed to connect with the Inclusive Community agenda.

Mackinac Island does not allow any automobiles and the transportation is by horse drawn wagons. Some of the wagons were built by the Fischer Body Company and were over 100 years old. I flew up to the island on a private plane owned by the Grand Hotel. It was a prop plane and the flight was one of the better ones of late.

I took a lot of pictures of the great lakefront houses. They were some of the largest homes that I have ever seen.

The Grand Hotel is truly a "grand" hotel. The rooms were brightly colored. The funny thing about the room was that the television was a small 12" Sony. I guess with all of the interesting things at the resort, television is the last thing you should be concerned with.

I left the island to catch my flight to Pittsburgh. I was the only one on the plane going back to Detroit. Felt like a real celebrity.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

6:28 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»

8:23 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home