As President of the National League of Cities, I have been fortunate to be able to lead the Building a Nation of Inclusive Communities Program. I believe that this will have a profound effect on America's cities.

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Mayor O'Conner of Pittsburgh


I got to meet Mayor Bob O'Conner, the new mayor of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania this week. Bob is a really engaging person and is "all" Pittsburgh. He reminds you of a boxer who just keeps punching. I was impressed when I heard that he is traveling around Pittsburgh and when he sees a junk car or a dilapidated house, he calls the police or the public works and they go after them right then and there. He calls it his "Redd Up" campaign. Redd Up is a Pittsburgh area term, meaning to get ready for company. I also was impressed with an idea that I heard about making the 1000 foot area around neighborhood schools a "clean" zone. Not only drugs, but junk cars, buildings, etc.

The Mayor's Office is a very large room with a very large desk. On one side of the desk is a Tiffiney bowl to commerate the Steeler Super Bowl win. One member of Bob's staff pointed out that the last mayor didn't win the big one.

I was very please that Mayor O'Conner committed to join the National League of Cities and will be actively involved in the Youth and Families Institute.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home